Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sick of Being Sick

Our medicine drawer at home.  It's much bigger than it looks.
This past Sunday, I chose to take a break from the Great Circular Indian Railway Challenge and fly back to Delhi due to a worsening stomach issue that had been nagging me for over a week.   My thought was to kick the stomach bug with a few days of rest and then join back with the GCIRC group when it steamed through Delhi today.  Well, there's good news and bad news.

Good news - My stomach doesn't slightly, mildly or severely ache for the first time in over 11 days! 

Bad news - I want to keep it that way.  It feels liberating.  I'm so sick of being sick.  Riding this high unfortunately means not joining back with the GCIRC.   Building up intestinal flora does not happen on shaky trains and with sketchy Indian food! 

I feel silly talking about my stomach problems as Karen was worse off than me when I arrived home!  She was, as she said, "on death's doorstep" while I was on my trip - missing 3 days of school which then carried through the weekend. Mind you, I am not even mentioning the 3 weeks prior!

I don't know what's going on with us, but we hope our stomachs are almost acclimated to India.  Our first 3 months were virtually sick free.  The past 2 months have been hell!  Although Karen and I consider ourselves extremely hygienic, we plan to make better food choices and wash our hands while singing the ENTIRE happy birthday song!

Tonight, we will raise our probiotic vials and toast to our health!!

1 comment:

  1. Have you cut out all dairy and meat? I had really bad reactions to the milk since it is usually buffalo milk and not cow's milk (so I was told). Was constantly with an upset stomach and always having to be near a toilet. Once I cut out all dairy and meat, things seemed to get a lot better.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails